Wednesday, November 11

WHAT TEACHERS MAKE

This is a sweeter version of 'What teachers make' which was originally presented by Taylor Mali, who's an English language teacher himself.
I don't know about you but I love this :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.
One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education.

He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"
He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
To stress his point he said to another guest;
"You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honour.
I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an IPod, Game Cube or movie rental.
You want to know what I make?" (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

''I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.

I make them read, read, read.
I make them show all their work in math. They use their God given brain, not the man-made calculator.
I make my students from non-speaking English homes learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity.

I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.
I make my students stand up straight and learn by heart the national anthem which they would continue to sing for the rest of their lives.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life."
(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)

"Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant... You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE . What do you make, Mr CEO?"

The CEO's jaw dropped, he went silent.

7 comments:

  1. indeed it is inspiring....teacher make difference...insyaAllah i'll be a practical teacher next sem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also watched the 'make a difference' video by teddy stallard at www.makeadifferencemovie.com. Both this story and the movie is inspiring and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanya profession guru yang sentiasa didoakan oleh orang-orang yang soleh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Setinggi mana pujian ke atas cikgu tetap tidak sama dengan beban dan tugasan cikgu kena buat. Cikgu yang baik adalah lebih gagah dari perwira di medan perang. Cikgu adalah operator dan CEO. Operator kerana tugasan seumpama khadam dan CEO kerana visi dan misinya.Syabas untuk cikgu yang baik kalau tidakpun yang terbaik.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A teacher does make a difference. Its not easy to be a teacher, teaching people who wants to gain knowledge. I mean, anyone can work for qualification to be a teacher. But not everyone has a heart of a teacher. For me, a true teacher is someone who born to be a teacher. And I am really thankful to all my teachers from the day I started to know the world until now. They are very inspiring.

    And even you yourself Kak Aliya, are my teacher. Teaching me to open up my eyes through your writings. Even though you've never formally taught me, but you are my sifu. Hehe. I even learn better English from your writings. Frankly, I was struggling to write this to make sure that you'll get what i mean. (haha)

    ReplyDelete