Friday, October 5

POEM - REMINDER TO WOMEN OUT THERE'

I Got Flowers Today

I got flowers today.
It wasn't my birthday or any other special day.
We had our first argument last night,
And he said a lot of cruel things that really hurt me.
I know he is sorry and didn't mean the things he said.
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today.
It wasn't our anniversary any other special day.
Last night, he threw me into a wall and started to choke me.
It seemed like a nightmare.
I couldn't believe it was real.
I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over.
I know he must be sorry.
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today,
and it wasn't Mother's Day or any other special day.
Last night, he beat me up again.
And it was much worse than all the other times.
If I leave him, what will I do?
How will I take care of my kids?
What about money?
I'm afraid of him and scared to leave.
But I know he must be sorry.
Because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today.
Today was a very special day.
It was the day of my funeral.
Last night, he finally killed me.
He beat me to death.
If only I had gathered enough courage and strength to leave him,
I would not have gotten flowers...today.

By Paulette Kelly
© Copyright 1992 Paulette Kelly

6 comments:

  1. Salam. Sedihnya Aliya, bila dibaca puisi ini. Janganlah ada lagi yang berakhir dengan nasib begini - know when to leave before such a tragedy happen! Jangan ingat isteri sebagai punching bag, isteri amanah yang bakal akan dijawab di akhirat nanti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waalaikumussalam Ummu Madihah,
    Memang sedih. Tapi saya harap semua pembaca blog ini dengan izin Allah, sedar bahawa setiap hari ada saja wanita bergelar isteri yang didera suami masing-masing. Lebih teruk lagi bila ada muslimah yang juga saudara baru/mualaf yang dipukul suaminya yang lahir Islam, kemudian diberitahu isteri itu memang patut diajar begitu sebab tak taat suami [kononnya, walaupun hanya sebab lewat sedikit balik rumah atau tak bersama sebab uzur]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. assalamualaikum. puisi ini memberipengajaran untuk diri saya juga. untuk taat perlu ada ilmu.berfikir dan bertindak jangan dicampur-adukkan dengan emosi dan perasaan.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting poem..
    Although sad, I like it very much because of how the poet attract us to read the story till the end.

    Actually I think, it's really hard for a wife to break up with her husband. As we know, women are mostly loyal and loving.. they are able to endure the pain, forgive, giving chances.. This is a woman's strength, which is also her weak part, it seems..

    She knows that it's stupid of her to not leave her husband, but she only wants to believe in their bright future together. We can live when he have hope, but we can also die/become sick when we lose hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black Humour poem. With a flower describe the struggle of woman under pressure and beaten up by husband. This is interesting because the whole storyline draw out the sense of tragedy and humour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waalaikumussalam La Kuchi, KKK,and Ikhwan Ng,
    Thanks for your comments, although I'm very late in replying [needed to check at blogger for comments in older posts].
    Yes, I agree that it's hard for a wife to leave her husband, even if he's abusive towards her. My personal experience as a witness confirms it.
    InsyaAllah, I'll write more about this issue later.

    ReplyDelete